2003 Missouri State Time Trial—my first state TT

I’ve been reading through some of my old training logs and found this entry dated June 8, 2003—almost exactly 10 years ago—for the Missouri State Time Trial Championships in Jefferson City. I was a 2nd year racer and had just moved up to Cat 4, and by this time I had done only a few very short time trials and was still racing my old Kestrel with standard wheels and clip-on aerobars. Despite all this, for some reason I had the feeling that time trialing was something I would enjoy. After reading this entry, considering how excruciatingly painful an experience I describe it being, I’m almost amazed that I ever did another time trial. However, I guess that first tantalizingly close taste of success was enough to light the fire.

ABSOLUTELY THE HARDEST RACE I HAVE EVER DONE!!! The course was along Hwy 94 in the Missouri River bottoms north of Jefferson City – 20 km (12.4 miles) straight out and 20 km straight back. I raced Masters 45-49, got an early start time (#8), did a 45 minute warmup with three progressive intervals, and arrived at the start line about 3 minutes before I was set to go. Awesome tailwind going out, but I pushed as hard as I could anyway to try to make up as much time as possible. I passed #6 just before the split (25:51, 29.4 mph), made a nice, sharp, quick turnaround and started back into a BRUTAL headwind! I held 22-23 mph the first 2-3 miles and passed a tandem (#7). Then the winds became excruciating – I struggled to keep it above 20 mph. I started playing mind games to force myself to keep cadence and not shift down a gear – counting pedal strokes, counting my breathing and matching it to my pedal strokes. I passed #5 with a decked out tri-bike. I switch my computer from avg speed to distance traveled and counted down the 1/10th miles. I hummed Slayer’s Angel of Death. The last 4 miles I thought I was gonna die – my thighs were on fire, I couldn’t get comfortable on the saddle, my mouth was dry but I couldn’t risk interrupting my cadence to drink. I was going about 17. 5 mph. Then, finally, I could see the finish line. I had nothing extra to give – no standup sprint or anything. All I could do was just keep doing what I was doing until at last I crossed the line. My time was right at 64:04 (23.2 mph). At first, I was a little disappointed, but as more and more people came back and I heard them talk, it looked like times were off by about 2 minutes from last year (which was a straight crosswind out and back). Everybody was saying this was the toughest TT they’d ever done. I started feeling pretty good about my time. Then the officials came back, and I learned that I got 2nd place. I got a silver medal that says “State Championships” on it. The winning time was 62:35. I would’ve also gotten 2nd place had I done the Men’s 4/5.

Copyright © Ted C. MacRae 2003, 2013.

About Ted C. MacRae

Ted C. MacRae is a research entomologist by vocation and beetle taxonomist by avocation. Areas of expertise in the latter include worldwide jewel beetles (Buprestidae) and North American longhorned beetles (Cerambycidae). More recent work has focused on North American tiger beetles (Cicindelidae) and their distribution, ecology, and conservation.
This entry was posted in Racing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s