Okay, I know I can never take the place of Style Man, but lately, as warm weather (tries to) return to the area, I’ve noted a few style faux pas on my rides that simply cannot go without comment:
- If you’re too embarrassed to wear lycra shorts on a road bike, you should be even more embarrassed to wear them under baggy shorts with the bottoms exposed.
- I’m sorry, but bright yellow jerseys just don’t look good on anyone not stepping up to the podium during July. Bright yellow jerseys look even worse when you weigh at least 300 lbs. Bright yellow jerseys look simply horrid when you weigh 300 lbs. and the jersey is two sizes too small!
- Whenever I see someone riding without a helmet:
- if they are riding a beater and wearing blue jeans, I simply chuckle at the amusing irony (you know, survival of the fittest and all).
- if they are on a nice road bike and wearing team kit, I just want to roll my eyes and say “puh-leez”.
Finally, please realize that lycra shorts start wearing thin in the most unflattering of places – check them before you put them on, and if you can see through them, buy new ones you cheapskate!
Copyright © Ted C. MacRae 2009